A strange thing happened yesterday. I checked my blog stats (for the first time ever) to find out how people find my blog. What keywords refer them, which sites link them, etc. I noticed a handful of hits from another blog and clicked over to investigate. I was excited to find that the lovely lady over at Ravishing Rita, nominated me for a Liebster Blog award. So sweet! The Liebster award, is sort of like the chain letter of awards, and is a way to link into the network of other bloggers in the vintage loving community. It's a really nice way to find other blogs, get followers, and get some insight into the blog author's brain. I'm so glad I got the random urge to check my stats, or I would have never known. :)
These are the questions that Katie asked me:
1 - What is the one piece of clothing you could not live without?
2 - What does your most used handbag look like?
3 - When did you first become interested in vintage?
4 - What is the best deal you have gotten on a piece of vintage clothing or a vintage accessory?
5 - If you were to be able to have a shopping spree at any store, which would it be?
6 - What is your favourite band or musician from before the 1970's?
7 - What is your favourite perfume?
8 - If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you want to go?
9 - What is your favourite flavour of cupcake?
10 - If you could visit anytime in the past, when would it be and why?
11 - What is your favourite accessory?
1. A crinoline! A 50s dress with a form fitting bodice, cinched waist, and full skirt is my favorite type of vintage dress. I think they are so incredibly flattering to any shape, but a crinoline really takes the whole outfit from adorable to amazing.
2. I love vintage beaded clutches, but my favorite feature on a purse has to be a Bakelite or Lucite handle. swoon.
3. I've been picking out vintage pieces since high school, but I hadn't really committed to any era or style. It's been in the last five years that I really honed in on what it is that I love about vintage, which styles flatter me, and it's influenced my whole aesthetic outlook.
4. I am a champion bargain hunter! It's really about having patience and enjoying the thrill of the hunt. Most people shy away from sorting through disorganized racks or piles of clothing at an estate, but that's where the best treasures are hidden. At a particularly abysmal church rummage sale I found three vintage star burst Christmas ornaments and an adorable 1950s yellow sundress, I spent .75 cents total!
5. If I could have a shopping spree anywhere I'd probably choose Modcloth. I have a lot of luck finding authentic vintage on my own, but I'm 5'10" and have NEVER been able to find vintage shoes that fit my feet. I'd probably buy at least 20 pairs of shoes!
6. This is a tricky question and I could spend weeks debating about my favorite band. Let me just say that right now, my favorite album to listen to on vinyl is Ella Fitzgerald (1945), followed closely by a Supremes album full of Beatles covers (1964). Ask me in a week and it might be different.
7. I don't generally wear perfume, but when I do, I prefer rose or lilac oil.
8. Right now, I'm dreaming of a vacation to Bali. Perhaps it's because it was -7 degrees this week, but I would love to go somewhere warm and exotic.
9. My friend made chai flavored cup cakes with pistachio frosting last year for my birthday, and they were pretty amazing.
10. If I only had a day of time travel then I'd probably attend a party hosted by Marie Antoinette in Versailles, while the people still favored her, of course. If I had more time and could bring things back, then of course I would go to the 1950s, and that is where I would have my ultimate shopping spree.
11. My favorite accessories are hair fascinators. I'm always on the look out for a fabulous hat, but I find it nearly impossible to find one that fits my head. Fascinators are a nice alternative and can be so versatile.
The five blogs that I choose are:
To claim your award follow these steps:
Follow the person who awarded you.
Blog about the award.
Award 5 other bloggers, preferably ones that have less than 200 followers.
Answer my 11 questions and give your own 11 Q's for the bloggers you award.
1. What is your favorite clothing era?
2. If you could be any vintage starlet, who would you be?
3. What's the biggest vintage clothing splurge you've made?
4. What's your best kept secret for finding deals on vintage?
5. Do your friends and family wear vintage?
6. In what way does your home reflect your vintage style?
7. What's the best show on television?
8. What was the best vacation you've taken?
9. Do you have any hair and makeup tips?
10. What's your favorite accessory?
11. Do you have a goal for the new year?
thanks for participating, xox!